Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Hisami, Hitomi, etc.

I've always found Japanese names that sound like English words to be pretty amusing. A guest reverend at my church once told a joke that went something like this:

Question: "What did the man say when he dropped his axe on his foot?"
Answer: "Ajinomoto."

Get it? Like "Aw, gee. No more toe." It's also a Japanese food seasoning company that makes things like MSG...not that that as anything to do with it.

My cousin and I used to say that "Hisami" sounds like "He saw me."

The other week, my other younger cousin was trying to tell me her middle name, but here's how our conversation went:

Cousin: "Hitomi."
Me: "Who told you?"
Cousin: "Hitomi!"
Me: "What did he tell you?"
Cousin: "Hitomi!"

Ohhh. And then I remembered her middle name and that I had been misunderstanding the entire time.

No comments:

Post a Comment